Benefits of the Music Development Program
Why Study Music?
Families enroll their children in music lessons for many different reasons. Often a primary goal is the development of a lifelong love of music. The study of music also brings many advantages. Music inspires innovation, self-motivation, independence, responsibility, and empathy, and opens a world of infinite possibilities and positive solutions to children.
The study of music builds quantifiable skills, as well. The development of attention, memory, and spatial-temporal skills creates a solid foundation that children transfer to other areas. Researchers have discovered that children who receive music instruction score higher in verbal and nonverbal subtests on the Wechsler Intelligence Scale.
1. Joy of Music
Music fills people of every age with enthusiasm, fascination, and enjoyment in the world around them. It can be one of the most influential factors in an individual’s life, and can be a catalyst for the passion and commitment that inspires people to meaningful contributions in the wider world.
The Music Development Program’s progressively leveled system cultivates discipline through its balanced, consistent, and comprehensive series of assessments. By managing their time and setting achievable goals, students learn how to assess their own needs for preparation and can work actively and effectively for success.
In learning to focus on the different aspects of their preparation in lessons and at home, students engage in a high level of concentration and understanding of how to consistently meet goals.
4. Working with Others
One of the greatest benefits of musical training and experience is learning how to work with others. Students respond to their teachers, the encouragement of their parents, and interactions with their peers. Through consistent preparation and assessment, the Music Development Program fosters listening and understanding.
Students in the Music Development Program learn to generate original ideas and approaches, how to evaluate consequences, and to build on early experiences in their efforts to improve and realize their potential. The Music Development Program fosters creativity, innovation, and personal development.
As students prepare for Music Development Program assessments, they learn to monitor their thoughts and actions. The guidance offered by teachers and adjudicators helps participants to develop personal strategies for lifelong success.
7. Self-Confidence Through Achievement
The Music Development Program encourages students to take pride in their work and their achievements, and instills an appreciation of quality. Preparation for an assessment at any level requires students to follow directions, apply themselves, and celebrate personal excellence.
8. Self-Regulated Learning
Preparation for assessments through the Music Development Program promotes self-regulated learning and independent thought, which in turn nurtures inquiring and analytical minds that venture far beyond the world of music.
9. Experiential Knowledge
Students preparing for the Music Development Program learn to draw from previous experiences to solve problems and develop strategies for success. The assessment itself and the adjudicator's comments add to overall development and understanding.
10. Motivation Through Goal Setting
Students in the Music Development Program aspire to a high standard. This process of structured and goal-oriented study, recognized success, and ongoing growth is invaluable to students’ continued motivation and participation.
The aspirational aspects of the Music Development Program allow students to feel connected to a larger network of people participating in music. Active student engagement from the very beginning instills a sense of responsibility for preparation, process, and purpose in their studies.
The pursuit of continuous improvement and the recognition of achievement are the essence of the Music Development Program. Participation in assessments at any and all levels guarantees that students will have the tools they need to pursue, achieve, and uphold excellence in every area of their lives.
What are the advantages of the Music Development Program for students and families?
The Music Development Program . . .
. . . is a comprehensive system with built-in flexibility
- Students can progress at their own pace and move freely through the system.
- The program can be adapted for individual student interests while meeting the rigor and discipline of a national standard.
- Students will advance based on their personal learning achievements.
- The comprehensive nature of the Music Development Program supports the skills needed for innovation in a global world: creative process, problem solving, discipline, self-regulated learning, and focus.
. . . recognizes student achievement on a national level against a proven national standard
- Personal achievement is recognized, and excellence is rewarded.
- Student achievement is recognized through local, state, and national Certificates of Excellence and awards ceremonies.
- The ability to measure progress and achievement level by level leads to self-motivation and the pursuit of excellence.
. . . improves students' life skills and creativity
- Preparation for an assessment requires goal setting, time management, and self-discipline.
- Musical creativity, artistry, and a love of music are natural outcomes of the Music Development Program.
. . . assures that students will be measured fairly and impartially
- Assessments are conducted by professional adjudicators, who undergo rigorous training and continuous professional development.
. . . assures that students will receive meaningful assessment
- Detailed assessments of progress are balanced with constructive observations and suggestions for future musical development.
The study of music builds quantifiable skills. The development of attention, memory, and spatial-temporal skills creates a solid foundation that children transfer to other areas.