Performance Assessment Day: A Checklist for Students
Our next session of performance assessments begins this May. Whether you’re a first-time participant or a seasoned veteran, we want to ensure you have all the information you need to feel prepared on the big day!
Before you leave home:
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes early
- Complete your Assessment Program Form
- Bring two original copies of all music being performed in the assessment (one original copy for the adjudicator and one original copy for the accompanist, if applicable for your instrument.) You wll need one additonal copy for yourself if the music is not memorized.
- Mark the pieces being performed with a paper clip or “sticky note”
Points to remember:
- For certain instruments you’ll be asked to perform at least one piece with piano accompaniment. Check your applicable syllabus to learn more.
- Electronic devices, books, notes, bags, and coats must be left in the area designated by the presiding officer
- Photo ID may be requested before students are admitted to the assessment room
- Parents, other family members, friends, and teachers must wait in the designated waiting area
- Standing and listening outside the assessment room door is prohibited
- Recording devices are strictly prohibited in the assessment room
- Photocopied music is prohibited (unless authorized by the publisher)
- The adjudicator may interrupt the performance of repertoire at any given point to move on to the next section of the assessment
What to expect from an assessment:
- A friendly yet professional atmosphere
- The undivided attention of an adjudicator
- An objective assessment of your performance, which may include repertoire, vocalises, recitatives, technique, aural skills, and reading skills
After the assessment
You will be able to access your marks and adjudicator comments by logging onto The Royal Conservatory Music Development Program website approximately eight weeks after the assessment. You will be notified via e-mail when marks are posted.
Click here to view assessment dates in your area.